Dr. Matthew Gerald offers his patients sedation dentistry in Vienna, VA. Dental sedation is a general dentistry treatment method we can use during procedures to help patients relax. It allows them to receive anxiety-free dental care. For patients with dental fear or anxiety, we can utilize sedation dentistry so they feel comfortable during their procedures. Sedation dentistry is a safe and proven way to treat patients even if they do not have fear or anxiety. We also utilize sedation for more in-depth procedures such as tooth extractions.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
The benefits of dental sedation are vast and help make dental treatment attainable. Not only does it work on patients who suffer from a fear of the dentist, but it can also work on patients who suffer from severe gag reflexes.
Using dental sedation, we are able to:
- Help patients overcome fear and anxiety
- Offer safe and high-quality treatment
- Schedule fewer appointments for care
- Help dentists to work efficiently
- Provide pain-free care
- Eliminates sore muscles and joints from tensing up
Sedation Dentistry in Vienna, VA for Dental Anxiety
If you or a loved one have dental fear or anxiety, please contact our dental office before your next appointment so we can accommodate you. We always recommend dental sedation depending on your specific needs. Dr. Gerald will gather your medical history and listen to your fears to help determine the right treatment for you. Our dentist office is a judgement-free zone. You can trust us to work one-on-one with you to help you get the dental care you need. In addition to utilizing dental sedation, we will keep you well informed on everything we so. We have learned when patients know what to expect, their anxiety and fears are lessened.
Common Types of Dental Sedation
There are two main types of sedation dentistry that we use to calm and relax patients:
- Oral Conscious Sedation: Like its name, oral conscious sedation allows patients to be conscious during their treatment. You are able to interact with the dental staff but will be in a deep state of relaxation. Additionally, you won’t be able to remember the procedure. Oral conscious sedation is taken in pill form prior to treatment. It usually takes 30 to 60 minutes to take effect. With this type of sedation, you will need a ride to and from your appointment.
- Nitrous Oxide: Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide can sometimes make patients giggly or happy as well as relaxed. Nitrous oxide is administered through a cannula placed under the nose or a mask placed over the mouth. This type of dental sedation takes effect and wears off quickly, so patients are able to drive themselves to and from their appointment.
Call Today to Discuss Sedation Dentistry in Vienna, VA
Do you or a loved one have dental anxiety? Ask our office about dental sedation. Schedule a dental appointment with our team online. You can also call our Vienna, VA dental office at (703) 721-4796. Please let our team know if you have any more questions or concerns and they will gladly assist you.